Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review: Teenagers by Samantha Steele


All her life, Samantha has felt a little awkward, like she belonged somewhere else - certainly not the cold blue mountains of Alaska. Her feelings are confirmed when a Ghost tells her a little story about her past and who she really is: a Sign.

But the Palace is in danger, and its leader must know the story that Samantha has forgotten. The story about Zac and the high school Samantha attended. This is that story; this is the beginning.



Review from Goodreads

The Characters:
The protagonist of the book, Samantha "Sam", wasn't fairly well written in the sense that you could tell her what emotions were and, most the time, why she felt the way she did... most the time. Her personality on the other hand made her seem shallow though not conceited and there were some parts in the story that had me confused about her personality. Jacob, the main protagonist of the story, had a very visible personality, he was either bipolar or a psychopath, and I go for the latter option. Though his point of view occurred only a handful of times they provided great insight into his mind making it easier to understand his actions. The love interest Zac was okay but not that great. Same goes for all the friends with the exception of the secondary love interest Mitchell, who I absolutely adored and was by far the best written character. Overall the characters were okay but not amazing.

The Setting:
I kept forgetting it was Alaska. What does that say? If it wasn't for the title and a brief mention here and there I would have totally spaced it out because it wasn't really described, or if it was I missed it because it was probably in the middle of a lag in the book. The setting wasn't really that great in description but was okay for the story.

The Story:
Now I get to both the best and worst part. Yes, the story was really nice. No, I couldn't keep track of where it was at times. By that I mean that at the start it seemed like a paranormal fantasy, by the middle it was a romance, and toward the end it was a mesh of murder, mystery, drama, and a little bit paranormal fantasy making me wonder which is it supposed to be. I liked the story line though even if it was a little hard to follow. The book is written primarily as a flashback through... someone's mind via paranormal/ Harry Potter like ways, but veers from that a little since "flashback" stories are usually written from one point of view.


Overall, this book was "nice" and "okay" because the story, characters, and setting fit together nicely although they weren't that great themselves. It doesn't make it to my top favorite's list but isn't the worst book I've ever read.


No comments:

Post a Comment